Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Okay so what's on my mind right now.  Food allergies.  Are they real?  Why do so many people have them especially if I can't tell anything bothering them?  My husband (bless his heart) has had sleeping problems ever since I've known him and recently he went to a doctor to try again to figure out what to do.  She gave him some supplements to help his adrenils get balanced and said I think you have food allergies and sent him to get a blood test.  Yes of course he is allergic to everything that Gabriel is which is basically everything on the planet it seems.  Wheat, dairy, eggs, peanuts.  You get the picture.  So we say what are these foods doing to your bodies and what will you feel like if you're not eating them.  The theory is that they for some reason have a negative reaction to their bodies and the body actually builds up antibodies against them when they eat them.  Which in turn is obviously hard on all the organs and doesn't give you any nutrients if you can't properly digest them.  Okay so I say why wheat?  I'm done my research on dairy and I know or feel that it's just not that good for anybodies body but wheat?  It's supposed to be good for us right.  I pull out my omnivores dilemma and read about the gross changes that have happened to our grains over the years, who know maybe their not even grains any more maybe they're just like chemical mutations that are somehow programed to grow.  Yet we still eat it, now I don't know where it all comes from , which kinds of wheat have been grown with seeds that have been preserved etc.  so who know what you're getting but I've come to realize that even if we are eating the purest kind of wheat we're still having to much.  Why do we only eat wheat?  There are tons of different grains out there, some that are better for you then wheat.   I'm assuming that it just became an American way or it was cheaper or that is just what the farmers grew, kind of like corn.  So the point in fact is where do we eat wheat?  Bread, noodles, crackers, pancakes, tortillas, cookies, cake, pies etc. etc.   So you could go a whole day and possibly just eat wheat or what used to be wheat and has been so modified that you're just eating some kind of starch or maybe just nothing (i.e. white flour).  I have to think after decades of this happening to your body your body has to revolt.  Kind of like the baby that starts throwing pureed green beans at you after you've tried to stuff them in his mouth enough times, who really likes those anyway?  My course in action.  Find different grains.  Give our bodies a rest a detox of sorts.  My husband has started his 2 week no dairy, wheat or sugar to just clear out his body and I'm jumping on his band wagon.  Maybe we just need to change it up sometimes, I mean it makes sense right?  So new foods these 2 weeks, watch for what we're eating.

Monday:
Breakfast: gluten free banana bread (made by Gabriel)
oatmeal
apples with sunbutter or peanut butter
Lunch:
Vegetable soup with quinoa
brwon rice noodle with spaghetti sauce
India palace buffet (yum) we all ate seperately obviously
fruit
dinner:
Cod bakes with olive oil or smart balance butter spread, lemon and pepper
brown rice pilaf:
brown rice, green peppers and onions sauteed in butter spread then cooked with chicken broth
asparagus.
Tuesday:
breakfast: organic breakfast os with rice milk or soy milk (not the best choice if you're being ultra detox because it's processed but I'm doing my best here)
lunch:  chili and corn chips
green salad
dinner:  birthday party so there was a slight break in the schedule ( so is life right?  I think if we all ate well and only had slight breaks in our healthy habits we'd be doing great)
Wednesday:
Breakfast:
gluten free pancake mix with real maple syrup
grapes


I hope I can keep this up, stay tuned my vegetarian cooking classes start thursday night, I'm hoping to have all kinds of ideas then.  

4 comments:

Kati said...

Been thinking about the same stuff lately. We don't eat wheat, unless there is a birthday party or something. I feel so much better without wheat (dairy, eggs, peanuts, etc...). My joints used to ache and I felt OLD, after three weeks of starting my new diet felt like a completly new person. People all over the world overuse wheat and most places dairy also, that is why everyone is allergic to them. Good luck with your diet, it sounds yummy!

S. Schuller said...

I loved this post (not that Jeff has food allergies), but thanks for letting us in on your detox plan. It sounds delicious, actually. I wish I could be there for some pancakes, and the Indian buffet. Keep us posted. You are amazing.

S. Schuller said...

What makes something gluten free? Does that mean no-wheat? Is it a special kind of flour? See...this is why we need a healthy food blog...I need your recipes!

naturaljoy said...

gluten free is flour made from different grains or other things like beans, rice, coconut. There are several grains that have gluten so it's any of them that don't have it.