Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dinner last night


Kusherie (Egyptian Rice and Lentils
Easy to make, despite the recipe length, and high in protein.
In Egypt this is served with plain yogurt as a side dish.
From Mennonite cookbook More-With-Less.(love this cookbook)
6-8 servings
45 min 10 min prep
Rice and Lentils
2 tablespoons oil
1 1/4 cups lentils

3 cups boiling water (or stock)

1 teaspoon salt

1 dash pepper

1 1/2 cups rice

1 cup boiling water (or stock)

Sauce
3/4 cup tomato paste

3 cups tomato juice (or tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes)

1 green pepper, chopped

1/2 cup celery leaves, chopped

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or crushed chilis to taste)

Browned Onions
2 tablespoons oil
3 onions, sliced

4 garlic cloves, minced


0. In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, brown lentils in 2 Tbsp oil, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
0. Add the 3 cups boiling stock and the salt and pepper.
0. Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.
0. Stir in the rice and 1 cup stock.
0. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes without stirring.
0. Meanwhile make sauce: Heat all the sauce ingredients together in a medium saucepan.
0. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.
0. To make browned onions, heat oil in a small skillet.
0. Saute onions and garlic over medium heat till browned.
0. To serve, put rice lentil mixture on a platter, pour tomato sauce over and top with browned onions.

I love making something healthy and feeling like I'm taking care of my children's bodies and ensuring them a better future of physical health. I'm not saying I deny them treats but it's amazing how food affects you once you really start finding out, Ask me about it:) Current books I'm delving into: Omnivores Dilhema and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.

3 comments:

tharker said...

I saw you on Lindsay's blog, and I hope you don't mind me being nosy and popping in.

I love the picture of you and the kids snuggled up together. It is very JOYFUL.

Thank you again for the delicious dinner on Sunday night. You are wonderful.

Lovely Lindsay said...

"Omnivores Dilhema" i've heard alot about this one.
you are so brave when it comes to food. maybe i am just a big scaredy cat.

naturaljoy said...

I don't know if brave is the word, I've just found out too much, good or bad depending on how much bad for you food you want to eat and not have to worry:)